Anna
It is a busy Tuesday afternoon at Jewish Inertia magazine. The phone rings and I hurriedly answer,

"Jewish Inertia magazine" I answer in a clipped professional tone.

"Hello, a voice soft voice answers, this is Shifra and I am looking for summer 2010 of Jewish Inertia magazine. My father is in one of the photos with Dr. Bernard Lander. I let someone borrow the magazine and now I don't have it. The picture really means a lot to me. Can you please send me another copy?"

Back issues cost 6.50 and them takes tracking it down in various Anonymous Jewish Organization storage closets. We were approaching deadline, and time was tight. The hope in Shifra's voice made me stop and answer kindly.

"I will do my best, but it will cost you. Can I please call you back this afternoon?"

"Yes, please do," Shifra answered.

I sighed and started to rifle through some stuff on my desk. As I was sorting through various shreds of paper I came across Jewish Inertia magazine summer 2010. Not only one but two copies. I called Shifra back right away.

"Hello may I please speak to Shifra?"

"Speaking"

"Hi, Anna here from Jewish Inertia. I can send you a copy of the magazine."
In a split second decision I said, "it will be 5.00 even."

"Thank you so much!" Shifra said the thanks and excitement was palpable in her voice.

"Your welcome, shana tova u'metukah," I said.

As I was packaging the magazine I decided to send her both copies I had found. I then took a sticky and wrote a note "I know I told you I would send you one magazine but this seemed so important to you that I decided to send you two. Shana tova umetukah~Anna"

A few days later I got to work and immediately started to listen to my messages. Pen poised ready to take down complaints about missed issues or never recorded address changes. Instead there was a teary message waiting for me.

"Hello this is Shifra. I want to let you know how much receiving the magazines with the note on them meant to me. It really made me stop and think about the little favors we could do for people on an every day baises that we tend to pass up. Shana tova"

I spent the morning smiling. Then it was 4PM and I was rushing to finish things off for the day. I got another phone call. Sighing, I picked up.

"Hi this is Shifra again, I wanted to speak to you in person. You must be an out-of-towner, your note was so nice."

Taken aback by the sentiment I managed to answer "yes I'm from Cleveland."

"Thank you again. Your note will be saved the photos passed onto my grandchildren. You don't even know how much happiness this has bought to me. May all your prayers be answered."

I went into Rosh Hashanah awed by Shifra's thoughtful and exuberant thanks.
0 Responses